08 September 2016

Stoker vs Coppola / V. Hart: my loathing opinion about the original Dracula’s ending


If you’re a diehard fan of Bram Stoker, you may not like this post and therefore I even invite you to leave right now…

Dracula has been one my top of the top favourite stories for 21 years, since I first read it at the age of 10. But wait… I have a strange relation with this book. In 21 years, I have read it over a dozen times, and yet, in some-very-strange-weird-how I had never made it to the very ending – UNTIL NOW.

Let’s rewind things a little: I had watched the movie several times as well (completely, until the end) along these 21 years and every time I watched it it was like the biggest thing, the greatest love and redemption story.  I have cried many times as well while watching some scenes and I have always told to myself that I hoped someday I would be able to put together a story as maginifique as that one.

Back to the present: In the past couple of months I made a promise to myself, since I am also aiming to be a better writer: I HAD to read the book and for the first time, register its ending. And I did it.  I DID IT!!!

And…

I WISH I HAD NEVER DONE IT! O.O !!!

The gods of writing have mercy on my soul, but that was the worst ending possible for this epic tale of Gothic!!! At the very end, when our readers nerves are about to jump out of our skin, the Count, whom we barely see in the story, is powerless in a box of earth , already very close to his castle, and is killed in the blink of an eye in a coward way, then he turns into dust and… That’s it! There is a lot of momentum before this part – and there’s nothing to keep the reader hooked during this crucial passage. In fact, it makes things so easy for the “hero” who kills him, that I had to read it twice to make sure I hadn’t missed anything. I was like: Huh? That’s it?

And then, the completely boring, colorless "happy ending"  of Ms. and Mr. Harker…

And one final thought: the story should have been called "Van Helsing" and not "Dracula". Since the count’s participation in the novel is minimal. I loved the character of Van Helsing, it was a fantastically well done one. However, the count itself could have been more explored and gained more weight through the plot to balance things.


This is what V. Hart and Coppola did. They saw the potential that Stoker failed to see and worked on those, not only making Dracula a formidable character and enemy, but also giving the plot a more complex, mature story with AN EPIC ENDING.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your thoughts ^.^